The blogger who runs the site, Freecell Penguin, has very kindly shared her pattern, so I thought that I would try it.
The pattern calls for worsted weight yarn and a size H hook, which as far as I know is a 5mm hook, and the pattern is sized for an adult. However being awkward I thought that I would like to make a child sized pair. I decided that I would use a 4mm hook and DK yarn which – you would think wouldn’t you – would make for a smaller mitt. Hmmm!
By the time that I had crocheted the cuff I realised that they were way too big for any child that I know. Not to be deterred I decided to carry on anyway and modify the rest of the glove to fit me. So instead of a slit for the thumb I did a thumb gusset and made the whole mitt a bit longer.
So, yes, I think that my crochet is a bit off gauge!
As I have hands covered in paint I decided that modelling them wasn’t an option.
Anyway, many thanks to Freecell Penguin for her generosity in making this pattern available.
Freeby time! So I decided that the dragon chart that I recently listed for sale will become the first freebie on my blog. I am giving it away to anyone who signs up for my newsletter.
I am busy painting just now but I hope to get on to some knitting soon, so I will be using it myself to make a cushion cover. When I do I will post the finished object. Mind you, there’s all those crocheted baby clothes that I have 99% done and need to finish off! So many things, etc.
If you are already signed up to the newsletter and would like a copy please just drop me a line. 🙂
I have had a few requests for a dragon knitting chart, so here it is!
This is a free chart for anyone who signs up to my newsletter. I have a few more in the pipeline, so don’t forget to check back every so often. Just now I am working on a scottie dog, a greyhound, cats and other random creatures.
The process involved in making the chart goes like this: I do a pen and ink drawing of the subject of the chart. Then I have to convert it to an image file, tidy it up in Photopaint and then make up a chart in CorelDraw. Finally it gets listed on t’internet.
This chart is intended to be used for knitting but I am hoping to create charts aimed at other crafts too. I’ll see how it goes! 🙂
Don’t forget to let me know how you get on if you do use the chart.
A few years ago, I did some prints on to old cotton sheeting, using my HP inkjet printer, which used pigment inks. After drying thoroughly, I was able to wash the printed fabric with very little loss of ink. Although the prints were a little more muted than those done on paper they were still very good.
So this week, I decided to do some more fabric prints. However, what I had forgotten was that not all inkjet printers are created equal. Now I am not sure if it is the type of ink, my current printer uses dye based inks, but it doesn’t give the same results. The ink washes out.
I tried leaving the prints to dry, I tried ironing them, I tried pre-soaking the fabric in a solution of alum, washing soda and fabric softener, none of which made a bit of difference.
I know that there is a product called BubbleJet Set, which purports to help you get colourfast fabric prints. Being a bit grippy, I am loathe to spend money on it as I have no guarantee of it working.
I also have concerns that, even with the Bubble Jet Set solution the prints, being dye based, might fade. I really wish that I still had my old printer 🙁
Do any of you lovely people out there have any experience of this product?
Here in the depths of Aberdeenshire, we get used to things taking a while to get here, sometimes it takes a week or so after ordering, when most other places will receive their stuff the next day. So imagine my surprise, when, the day after ordering it, my fabric turned up! Hurrah!
Not only that but it is really nice fabric and was very reasonably priced.
Quick Fabrics have a good range of material, so it didn’t take me long to put an order together. It’s great to find a shop like this one.
I bought some calico, for printing on, as well as some lovely thick cotton jacquard and some bright poly-cottons. I couldn’t get a good photo of the jacquards, which is a shame as the texture of them is fantastic.